“Big A” Challenge Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT IMPROVE CHANCES OF WINNING.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Big A Challenge ("Contest" or "Promotion") is open to National FFA Organization High School Chapters (“FFA Chapters”) in the states of Iowa and Illinois. Void outside of Iowa and Illinois and where prohibited.
- PROMOTIONAL PERIOD: Promotion begins on Sept. 4, 2018, at 9:00 a.m. Central Time ("CT") and ends on August 29, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. CT.
- HOW TO ENTER: There is one way to enter. To enter during the entry period (October 1, 2018-Oct. 26, 2018), FFA Chapters in Iowa and Illinois, will enter online at www.Pioneer.com/BigASeries. Limit one entry per FFA Chapter.
- CONTEST ROUNDS:
- ROUND ONE — FINAL 15 SELECTION: Between Oct. 1, 2018 and Oct. 26, 2018, the chapter advisor of a participating FFA Chapter must submit an essay of less than 1,000 words that describes how farmers in your local community benefit by planting the new Pioneer® brand A-Series soybeans along with a proposed design drawing for the decorated Big “A”. Submissions received after October 26, 2018, will not be evaluated and will be disqualified. A panel of judges selected by Sponsor (“Selection Committee”) will score the entries during the period of October 26, 2018-December 21, 2018, on the following criteria: Theme — 20%; Writing Quality — 20%; Creativity of Essay — 20%; Creativity of Proposed Big “A” Design — 20%; and Capturing the Spirit of Pioneer and the Local Community — 20%. In the event of a tie, the tied entry with the highest score in the criterion of Capturing the Spirit of Pioneer and the Local Community will be chosen as the winner. The 15 FFA Chapters receiving the highest scores will be selected to decorate the Big “A” statues and will be announced by email to all FFA Chapters that submitted entries and by social media on or about December 21, 2018. Each of the 15 chapters selected will be provided a budget of $200 to be used to purchase materials needed to decorate their Big “A” statue. If one of the chosen 15 statues does not meet Pioneer standards set forth in these Official Rules and other Contest materials, to be determined by Pioneer, their Big “A” statue will not be displayed at the 2019 Farm Progress Show (“FPS”), and they will be eliminated from the competition.
- ROUND TWO — 3 FINALISTS SELECTION: Each of the 15 finalists will be shipped a Big “A” statue and a finalist packet on or about February 1, 2019. Each FFA Chapter will have until May 3, 2019, to return their completed finalist forms and decorate their Big “A”. Big “A” entries must be sent back to Coppinger Exhibits via pre-paid freight, along with the fully completed entry forms contained in the finalist packet, by May 6, 2019.
- The Selection Committee will evaluate each of the finalist entries and score them on the following criteria: Quality of Art — 25%; Pioneer Spirit — 25%; Community Spirit — 25%; and Originality — 25% to select the top 3 finalists based on their decoration of the Big “A”. In the event of a tie, the tied finalist with the highest score in the Pioneer Spirit criterion will be named the winner. The top 3 finalists will be announced on or about June 17, 2019.
- The three entries with the highest scores will be selected as finalists and the winners will be announced at the 2019 Farm Progress Show.
- ROUND THREE — PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD: During the 2019 Farm Progress Show, attendees at the Show and the general public via social media will be able to vote for their favorite Big “A” finalist. This voting will determine the People’s Choice Award winner as the finalist receiving the most votes. Limit: one vote per person.
- Round One: Each of the 15 finalist chapters will receive a $200 donation from Sponsor for decorating their Big “A”. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each prize: $200; ARV of all round one prizes: $3,000.
- Round Two: There are three finalist prizes: First Place: $2,500; Second Place: $1,500; Third Place: $1,000. ARV of all round two prizes: $5,000. Prizes shall be awarded as donations from Sponsor to the winning FFA Chapters.
- People’s Choice Award: Each member of the FFA Chapter that wins the People’s Choice Award will receive a Pioneer® brand A-Series Soybean Bag (ARV: $10; total ARV: variable depending on number of chapter members).
- There is no random element to this Promotion and the odds of winning depend on the skill of the entrants.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Participants agree that the Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees and agents, (individually and collectively "Releasees") are released, will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless by participants against any liability for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind (whether due to negligence or otherwise) to person(s), including death, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the prize or participation in this Contest, and, (b) that Releasees have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to any prize, and THE RELEASEES HEREBY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL SUCH WARRANTIES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. By accepting a prize each winner grants permission to Sponsor and those acting under its authority the right to the use of his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and statements, at any time or times, in perpetuity, for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes without additional compensation (except where legally prohibited), in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide and on the Internet and World Wide Web, without notice, review or approval. Finalists must complete the entry forms contained in the finalist packets. Entrants may be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and where lawful a Publicity Release within seven (7) days of date on notification. If documents are not returned in a timely manner, or if the prize notification or prize is returned as non-deliverable, or if the potential winner is found to be ineligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules, prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected in accordance with these Rules.
- LIABILITY LIMITATIONS: Releasees are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or non-delivered entries, or technical errors or difficulties, or printing errors, clerical, typographical or other error in the offering or announcement of any prize or in any prize notification documents, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of registration, entry or other information or the failure to capture, or loss of, any such or similar information. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor's sole opinion, compromised by non-authorized human intervention, technical failures or any other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest, and select the winners from entries received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor.
- GOVERNING LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations as between participant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Iowa including procedural provisions without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state's or jurisdiction's laws.
- REQUIREMENTS/PROHIBITIONS/DISQUALIFICATION: Entries must: be the original work of the entrant; not have been entered in or won previous contests or awards; not infringe on any party’s intellectual property, including but not limited to copyright, trademark or right of privacy of publicity or any other rights; be suitable for public display; not contain obscene or pornographic material or defamatory statements or messages (including but not limited to words, images, or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, political party, sexual orientation or socioeconomic or other group), not defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging or slanderous remarks about Sponsor, its customers or its products, or other people, products or companies; not feature alcohol products, marijuana, tobacco products, contraceptives, feminine hygiene products, fireworks, firearms, prescription drugs, illegal drugs and related drug paraphernalia, lotteries and gambling, or live animals; not contain any copyrighted or works; not feature trademarks, logos or trade dress owned by others (except Sponsor’s trademarks, logos or trade dress), or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind (except Sponsor’s products), without permission, or contain any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses; not feature materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without permission; and not communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate.
Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify submissions that do not comply with the foregoing requirements. Sponsor reserves the right but not the obligation, in its sole discretion, to remove or blur or to ask the applicable entrant to remove or blur any non-material elements (e.g. small logos on clothing, artwork hanging in the background, etc.) rather than disqualify a submission.
- FORCE MAJEURE: Subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor reserves the right, without prior notice and at any time, to terminate the Contest, in whole or in part, or modify or suspend the Contest in any way, if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the Contest is impaired or that fraud has destroyed or severely undermined the proper entry, integrity, and/or feasibility of the Contest. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic or health of other means, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal, state, provincial or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis (e.g. SARS), order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor's control (each a "Force Majeure" event or occurrence), then subject to any governmental approval which may be required, Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest. If the Contest is terminated, in whole or in part, before the designated end date, Sponsor will select winners (or the remaining winners, as the case may be) from all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. Only the type and quantity of prizes described in these Official Rules will be awarded.
- INVALIDITY: The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. Headings and captions are used in these Official Rules solely for ease of reference, and shall not be deemed to affect in any manner the meaning or intent of these Official Rules or any provision hereof. These Official Rules cannot be modified or amended in any way except in writing by a duly authorized representative of Sponsor.
- ARBITRATION. By participating in this Contest in the fifty (50) United States and D.C., each Participant agrees that: (1) any claim, dispute, or controversy (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) Participant may have against the Releasees arising out of, relating to, or connected in any way with the Contest, the awarding or redemption of prizes, or the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, will be resolved exclusively by final and binding arbitration administered by American Arbitration Association ("AAA") and conducted before a sole arbitrator pursuant to the applicable Rules and Procedures established by AAA ("Rules and Procedures"); (2) this arbitration agreement is made pursuant to a transaction involving interstate commerce, and shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16; (3) the arbitration shall be held at a location determined by AAA pursuant to the Rules and Procedures (provided such location is reasonably convenient for Participant), or at such other location as may be mutually agreed by the Participant and Sponsor; (4) the arbitrator's decision shall be controlled by the terms and conditions of these Official Rules and any of the other agreements referenced herein that the applicable Participant may have entered into in connection with the Contest; (5) the arbitrator shall apply Iowa law consistent with the FAA and applicable statutes of limitations, and shall honor claims of privilege recognized at law; (6) there shall be no authority for any claims to be arbitrated on a class or representative basis, arbitration can decide only the Participant's and/or Sponsor's individual claims; the arbitrator may not consolidate or join the claims of other persons or parties who may be similarly situated; (7) the Participant and Sponsor shall in no event be entitled to recover punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages; (8) in the event that the administrative fees and deposits that must be paid to initiate arbitration against Sponsor exceed $125 USD for claims less than $10,000 or $375 for claims greater than $10,000 but less than $75,000, and the Participant is unable (or not required under the applicable Rules and Procedures) to pay any fees and deposits that exceed this amount, Sponsor agrees to pay them and/or forward them on the Participant's behalf, subject to ultimate allocation by the arbitrator. In addition, if the Participant is able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, Sponsor will pay as much of the Participant's filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive; and (9) with the exception of subpart (6) above, if any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, or otherwise conflicts with the Rules and Procedures established by AAA, then the balance of this arbitration provision shall remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, subpart (6) is found to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, then the entirety of this Arbitration Provision shall be null and void, and neither Sponsor nor Participant shall be entitled to arbitrate their dispute. For more information on AAA and/or AAA Rules and Procedures, Participants may visit the AAA Website at http://www.adr.org, or contact AAA AT 1633 Broadway, 10th Floor, New York, New York 10019; Phone 212-716-5800, Fax: 212-716-5905, OR BY EMAIL AT firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OFFICIAL RULES: These Official Rules will available online at www.pioneer.com/BigASeries. To receive a copy of the Official Rules, mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to Big A Challenge Official Rules Request, 7100 NW 62nd Ave., P.O. Box 1050, Johnston, IA 50131. All requests must be received by the end of the Promotional Period. Limit one request per stamped outer envelope. VT residents may omit return postage.
- WINNERS LIST: Winners will be posted online at www.pioneer.com/BigASeries. For a copy of the Official Winners List, mail a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Big A Challenge Winners List Request, 7100 NW 62nd Ave., P.O. Box 1050, Johnston, IA 50131. All requests must be received by December 31, 2019. Limit one request per stamped outer envelope. VT residents may omit return postage.
- SPONSOR: Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc., 7100 NW 62nd Ave., P.O. Box 1050, Johnston, IA 50131.
© 2018 PHII. All rights reserved.